Coconut Peanut Butter Ice Cream (with Miso Caramel)
2 cans full-fat coconut milk
100g granulated sugar
100g Freda’s Toasted Coconut peanut butter
1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
- The night before place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer to freeze all the way through.
- Measure out 2 tbsp of coconut milk and set aside.
- Add remaining coconut milk, sugar, peanut butter and salt to a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Add the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the cornflour to the reserved coconut milk until well combined.
- Add cornflour/coconut milk mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cornflour is completely cooked and ice cream base has thickened. Transfer to a shallow container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Add chilled ice cream base to frozen ice cream bowl and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Churn until it becomes thick and resembles soft serve.
- You can serve now or transfer to a pint-size container and store in the freezer until ready to serve. Allow 5-10 minutes to thaw when removing from the freezer.
- Serve with toasted coconut flakes, extra Freda’s Coconut and miso caramel*.
- Add 200g caster sugar, 100g vegan butter or margarine, 120ml cashew milk and 3 tbsp white miso paste to a heavy-based pan, over a low heat. Simmer and whisk until the caramel sauce has thickened. Should take 12-16 minutes.
- Decant into a sterile jar, cap, and leave to cool at room temperature before storing in the fridge (cause of the sugar content, this caramel sauce will keep for several months).